Thursday 3 February 2011

Never let me go



I watched Never let me go today because a poster for it caught my eye on the underground. It is written by Alex Garland, a name I know well because of my years spent studying his novel The Beach at A Level. The two are similar in that they both look at natural human emotion, put in to un-natural circumstances. This film is a bleak and tragic look at the idea of cloning. It reminded me of school, in philosophy and ethics when my teacher would talk about how the government were planning to control and clone us all, and then make us watch Hollywood films about it. This film is much more real and shows morals and ethics whilst at the same being mainly about love.

The love that is portrayed between the three main characters, Keira Knightly, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan is typically English, to the point where the combined Queen's English accents of Keira and Carey have made me scared to talk in fear I may start to hate my own voice. Aside from that Andrew's character Tommy is dim and loveable, Keira's cold and bitchy, much like a lot of her roles and Carey's is morally above everybody and very bright, similar to her character Jenny, in An Education.

Sad and thought provoking this is a great English film.

No comments:

Post a Comment